Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Freddy and Fredericka

Good evening to you all,I have appeared in your in box in order to recommend a novel, which I have just finished.The title is Freddy and Fredericka, and the author is Mark Helprin, who had become, over the years, one of a handful of writers in my personal pantheon. I will not review the book. Helprin is so gifted and skilled a writer that subjects and genres become unimportant. Each word, each sentence, is a delight, a profound experience.Some of you have read A Winters Tale, also by Helprin, which until now, was the best love story I have ever read. And so much more. Freddy and Fredericka may surpass even that one, although it is a completely different kind of story and style. It is, in turns, humorous, hilarious, bittersweet, poignant, profound, insightful and transcendent. This book, and those like it, are the reason God let us invent writing. These are what is meant by the line "seek ye out of the best books". While not religious, it is profoundly spiritual. At times it is farcical, Pythonesque. Pay close attention to the names. I don't know what you like to read. It doesn't matter--this is better. It is available in large format (6x9) paperback from Pemguin Press. Pick it up, read it. Let me know how you liked it and why, or why not. If you do not, I will tactfully explain where you went wrong.Janice, Aub, Jess, this is an absolute must. Maxine . . . . . . .I have no idea :)>
Feel free to use the library. Yes, its that good.

No comments: